Polished concrete floors offer benefits on many different levels. It’s not only a cost-effective way to create a stunning, visually appealing floor for commercial or residential use, it’s also very environmentally friendly. Polished concrete is quickly becoming the standard in “green flooring”.
Protecting our limited natural resources, lowering carbon emissions, and repurposing materials are all tasks that Kelowna Concrete is concerned about and conscious of the everyday. We realize that we have a responsibility to make a greater effort at preserving our environment, that’s why we encourage the use of polished concrete floors. With no harsh chemicals and fumes applied to your floor, you can have a clean, beautiful floor that’s low maintenance and safe for you and the environment.
Here are a few of the eco-friendly benefits attached to polished concrete floors:
- Concrete is already a base material required for the construction and uses in any type of building – residential or commercial. Using this already necessary material in a dual role reduces the demand for other flooring products and lowers shipping and manufacturing emissions associated with them.
- Exceptional durability and low maintenance without the use of ecologically compromising chemicals.
- It may assist you in facilitating LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) accreditation for your building.
- Polished concrete can be washed with just mild (biodegradable) soap and water, so expensive, chemically-laden cleansers aren’t necessary.
- ‘Green’ advocates believe the floors are brighter and reflect existing light. This makes indoor spaces seem brighter and actually lowers energy consumption by requiring less artificial light. In some cases, a 25-30% reduction in artificial lighting is achievable.
- Money on not only saved on lighting costs, but a polished concrete floor also helps reduce the load on air conditioning systems, as they do not have to remove as much heat generated by lighting. The reduction in energy and carbon emissions is drastic.
- With the elimination of synthetic carpet and other flooring options that contain VOCs (volatile organic compounds), indoor air quality is improved dramatically. Cleaner air indoors reduces allergic reactions, chronic respiratory diseases, heart disease, and even cancer. Creating a healthier indoor environment for your family or employees is an extremely important environmentally friendly step.
These are just a few of the great reasons why choosing a polished concrete floor simply is the best choice when it comes to making a positive environmental choice at home or in the workplace.
Kelowna Concrete is pleased to offer its clients this “green” choice. If you would like additional information about all of the benefits attached to a polished concrete floor, please give us a call at 250-448-6366 or contact us through our website.